Maptour Page 3
Maptour: The Printed Word 1752 – 1900
- Keep open the interactive map
“Regional spread of newspapers 1752-1900.”
- Click on
the "Related Materials" drop-down menu and select
Graphs - “Number of Newspapers.”
- In the 19th century practically all Canadian newspapers were published once a week.
- Between the 1850s and the 1890s the number of newspapers published in Canada
tripled in all regions except Newfoundland and New Brunswick.
- These graphs offer no clues regarding newspaper circulation.
- Instantaneous awareness of events worldwide, which is the news reporting
capability of the 21st century, was completely beyond the comprehension
(and perhaps concern) of newspaper readers in 19th-century Canada.