Maptour Page 4
Maptour: Canada's Ecological Regions ca 1500 CE
Seasonal Temperature Patterns
- Click on the "Related Materials" drop-down menu and
select the Graph - “Seasonal Temperature Ranges.”
- Five centuries ago, winter monthly mean temperatures were far
more variable than summer monthly mean temperatures.
- The Pacific Forest was the only ecological province that, some winters,
experienced a January average temperature above freezing.
- The Canadian territory offered strong climatic challenges to
living in a pre-industrial age.
- The significance of temperature has diminished in Canadians’ mind
for several centuries, but is once again becoming important in the
21st century as Canadians ponder “climate change.”