Map Tour: The Quest for Universal Schooling
Maptour Page 5
- Click on the "More Maps" drop-down menu
and select "Female Teachers in the Maritimes."
- Under LAYER CONTROLS, turn on the checkboxes for
"1851 Counties," "1871 Counties," "1891 Counties," each in turn,
watching the changes in the map as you do so.
- The proportion of male teachers in the Maritimes dropped significantly
over this forty-year period.
- Teaching had many of the hallmarks of child care, which was women’s
work in the 19th century.
- There was an English tradition of male school masters, and it faded
- Women may have been reluctant to take assignments in remote locations