Maptour Page 8
Maptour: The Acadian Expulsion: a Canadian Tragedy
Discovering New Orleans
- Keep open the map
"The Acadian Deportation Experience, 1755-1785."
- Under LAYER CONTROLS, turn on
the checkbox for "1763-68"
and then turn off all the checkboxes except
"Further wanderings 1763-68."
- Make sure your view includes both Québec City and New Orleans.
- "Nouvelle-France" is now called "Québec."
- Wanderings extended throughout the Atlantic Ocean and West Indies.
- Many wandering Acadians converged on New Orleans.
- French settlements in the St. Lawrence valley may have lost some of their appeal for Acadian refugees.
- Acadians were getting advice on a place that held promise of being culturally receptive.
- Once uprooted, displaced people have trouble putting down roots in a new locale, and are easily displaced again.